In 1912, the Athletic Club of Columbus was founded by a group of business professionals interested in promoting both social and athletic endeavors.
The Club’s first President was Henry J. Booth. In early 1913, the already prominent Ohio Club merged with the ACC and the first clubhouse was headquartered in The Columbus Saving & Trust Building (now known as The Atlas Building.) Plans were immediately launched for the new home of the ACC on Broad Street.
Our current six-story brick clubhouse, an example of Spanish Renaissance Revival with Italian influence, was designed by Richards, McCarty & Bulford with Frank L. Packard as Advisory Architect. The building was dedicated in 1915, to much fanfare and the facade has seen very little change since its opening. In early October 2011, just in time for the Club's Centennial celebrations in 2012, the Club was officially named to the National Register of Historic Places.
The Club has been, and always will be, an integral part of the Columbus business and political communities. Throughout its history, the ACC has proved a haven for individuals, families, and business professionals.
- Warren G. Harding, 29th President of the United States
- John W. Bricker, Ohio Governor and U.S. Senator; Vice-Presidential Nominee 1944
- William Saxbe, U.S. Senator and U.S. Attorney General 1974-1975
- James Rhodes, Four-Term Ohio Governor
- Dave Thomas, Founder of Wendy’s
- U.S. District Judge George Smith
- Herbert Brown, Fmr. Ohio Supreme Court Justice
- Dan Carmichael, Naval Aviator Captain, SCCA President's Cup Champion, District Amateur Golf Champion
- President Richard M. Nixon
- President George H. W. Bush
- U.S. Senator John McCain and Alaska Governor Sarah Palin
- Katie Couric, CBS Evening News
- U.S. Senator Joe Lieberman
- Harry Connick, Jr., Musician
- Chelsea Clinton, Daughter of President Clinton
- Randy Travis, Musician
- Anthony Quinn, Actor
- Jane Goodale
- Wang Jirau, Secretary of State (China)
- The Royal Shakespeare Company